NCR 725 / 605 Computer
Its previous owner obtained it at auction in the early 1980s, as cheap computer power for a personal project. The project did not proceed and the 725 was put into a barn and left for over 30 years. It appears to be complete and largely unmolested. The massive power supply appears to have been the main site of past work, the remainder appears intact. There is some external rust but the internal components show very little corrosion. The 16k core memory unit is the main source of anxiety in this regard but it is risky to attempt to dismantle this component for assessment.
The machine is currently in storage while its restoration prospects are considered. Reasons for optimism include:
- It appears to be commplete, with no serious damage or deterioration
- It is based on simple TTL technology, this is repairable with sufficient data and time
- There appears to be a strong ex-NCR community that may well have kept useful data and/or software
DoPECC would like to be able to restore this machine but will require the following before being able to proceed:
- any and all technical and circuit information for the 725 computer, 605 processor and peripherals
- any software, on media or as listings. The entire software environment has been lost
- recollections, stories or general information from past users or technicians
Please send any information or assistance via the About/Contact link.